Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Flip/Flop February Day 6: Fan Brush

Ah!  Late with this post - started typing it up last night and fell asleep while my pictures were uploading to blogger...yeah, in that short amount of time.  Oops!  Today is Day 6 of the Flip/Flop February 28 Day Challenge hosted by Jillian at Jilltastic Nail Design.  Today's options were Fan Brush or Glitter Bomb.  I've never tried the Fan Brush thing before, so I bought one and went to town.  This is what happened:  

fan brush nail art

I'm not thrilled.  It's not the worst thing ever - I'm even wearing it today at work, but I think I just expected better.  It looks blurry even though my picture isn't!  I couldn't get the bristles on my brush to separate like I wanted them to.  Probably would've been helpful to watch some YouTube tutorials before I tried this, but I did no such thing.  


nail art fan brush

Even though the result wasn't exactly what I was expecting - the technique is pretty easy to use.  It's not too terribly messy (I'd say sponging for a gradient and water marbling for sure are messier) and it doesn't take long.  

fan brush nail art

fan brush nail art

The colors I used are from left to right:
Essence Modern Romance
Butter London Trout Pout
a-England Elaine
Essence Oh My Glitter!
Revlon Coastal Surf
OPI Mermaids Tears



Here is a picture of my base colors.  I used 2 coats of Elaine on index and pinky fingers and 2 coats of Modern Romance on middle and ring fingers.  The fan brush colors I used were every other color shown except for the one that was used as the base.

dark dusty purple nude peach shimmer
Sorry about the blurry photo!
Also - I went to Design Seeds for color inspiration.  Have ya'll ever used these before?  Such neat color combinations and palettes.  I could just sit and look at the pretty pics that the palettes are pulled from!  Here is the one I used for the inspiration.

color chameleon

A reminder of what's to come!


Now go check out the other ladies designs and see what they came up with for today!  

5 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job. I've often been curious to try this effect. I think you mastered it beautifully

    Also, thanks for the website. I like to see how colors get used together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! You should try it!

      I know - isn't that website awesome? You can use those color palettes as design and color inspiration for ANY kind of project!

      Delete
  3. Also, you inspired me!! My spotted water attempt failed so I decided to do a sort of fan brush/sugar spun mani. It's up on my blog.

    I have a bit of a color fixation. When I go someplace I always notice what colors people put together. So I'm totally excited to look at some swatches and putting colors together for maicures.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, so don't be bashful!